It seems odd to post a “recipe” for porridge, but this low calorie breakfast has been such a key to my successful weight management process that I felt it deserved the credit of its own post!
I’ve tried the instant packets of porridge and found them very watery and disappointing, and the flavored ones quite artificial-tasting. This method is so quick and easy and at 137 calories per portion it’s a fantastic breakfast that keeps me full for hours. It’s also much more cost effective to buy a big bag of oats than buying the individual packets.
I was on a 1200 calorie budget for about 6 months, so this was a vital part of my daily meal plan. As I’ve gone up to maintenance level calories, I can increase the volume if I want to – usually when I know I won’t have time for lunch, or if it’ll be a long time until I can make a healthy lunch myself (I.e. to avoid buying junk).
It’s quite simple; in a microwave safe breakfast bowl, put ⅓ cup of minute oats, ⅓ cup of cold water and ⅓ cup of skimmed milk. Give it a good stir, and put the bowl in the microwave.
Cook on high power for 2 minutes, but every 30seconds give it a good stir – you’ll notice that it starts to clump at the edges of the bowl, so make sure you stir this through really well. At some point during the final 30seconds of cooking time it will be done to your liking, so check it more often and stir to judge when it’s thick enough for you.
I love it with Swerve brown sugar – at 0 calories, it’s a no-brainer for me!! Other toppings are numerous and well documented; maple syrup, bananas, blueberries, etc, etc. the choices are endless and up to your taste. But this basic recipe is the perfect place to start…
Recipe: 2 minute Porridge / Oatmeal
- ⅓ cup minute oats
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup skimmed milk
- Put the oats, water and milk in a microwave-safe breakfast / cereal bowl
- Stir thoroughly
- Place in microwave and set it to cook on high power for 2 minutes (as a guide – depending on the wattage of your microwave oven)
- Stir after every 30 seconds, ensuring the sides (which cook quickest) are well stirred into the center
- During the last 30 seconds (depending on the strength of your microwave) the porridge will be done to your desired level of thickness, so check it more often till it’s just how you like it.
- Top with swerve brown sugar substitute (for 0 calories) or your choice of toppings (and calculate calories accordingly).
Calories for ⅓ cup measures with skim milk = 137
Calories for ½ cup measures with skim milk = 208
Calories for ½ cup with 1% (semi skimmed) milk = 215